Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Fresco Backgrounds

I spent the weekend developing ATCs and techniques for these classes I'm going to teach. I'm calling this my fresco background and I think this is my all time favorite technique using gesso. It is so fun and easy to create stunning backgrounds.

These are some of the fresco backgrounds that I created using white gesso and Golden acrylics. I just love the Golden products! They add wonderful depth to these pieces. The scan here is flatter than the actual pieces. I think I'll photograph them next time instead of scanning.

Here are some ATC backgrounds that were created using the same fresco technique. This time, I used clear gesso instead of white. With the clear, you can paint and add papers and other bits under the gesso. It really changes the feel and adds another layer to the image.

Here is my mom's version that she created with my instruction. I can't take any credit here though. She is the artist that put me on my path so it is all her fault! Also, she added the violet here that I was afraid to add to my own piece. AACK, me afraid of violet! I think hell might be freezing over as we speak. ...It will never happen again, I promise.

Mom's backgound again, after we cut it up into ATC sized pieces. These are so much fun, I can't wait to do more. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Me said...

Hey Jess,
I can't see any of the pictures in your post. But I sooo want to learn how to make ATCs and embellishmenty things. Bummer we couldn't have hooked up when I was in Austin for a little tutorial!!

Anonymous said...

Jess, I followed your link from the Altered Books Group. What fabulous work. I love what you have done here. Thanks so much for sharing it. Totally inspiring.
Kathy in Canada (my work is on the group home page right now)

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful. Also linked from AB group. Looks like fun to attend your classes. Have never done or seen technique for making frescos. Hope to read how sometime soon. Your colors inspire me as well. Congratulations on your recent teaching venture. I'm a neighbor in Oklahoma. Carla